X-Treme October 16

Welcome to the world of the unknown. Each day you need to solve <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/xfile.php">two mysteries</a>.<br>Take the X-R-Size or solve the X-Treme problem. Stuck? Found a nice solution? Tell us about it.
Nasenbaer
Master
Master

X-Treme October 16

Post by Nasenbaer »

Usually I don't do the X-Treme ones because the techniques you have to use are over my head most of the time. But today I wanted to learn something, so I started to solve todays X-Treme by paper and switched to SudoCue (V2.0.0.6) when I got stuck.

When I pasted the string into SudoCue I got the following message:
Too difficult sudoku

This is a valid puzzle 24, but it cannot be solved with your current solver settings. The solver can only solve 53 of 81 cells. Either the solver settings are incorrect or or this sudoku is too difficult.
I looked at at the options, all solving techniques were enabled. So I started to step through the puzzle. But somewhere along the road I got an invalid arrangement (3 numbers for 4 cells on D\), so I started over and stepped through it, only using SudoCue. What a surprise: I ran in the same problem again!?!

Also, if I tell SudoCue to solve it it tells me "The puzzlr has no solution".

So, Ruud, did you want to test us? See who even tries to solve these things? Or are there some mean not-yet-invented techniques you have to use? Or did I miss something fundamental?

Peter
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Peter,

There seems to be a problem in the ALS technique when it is used in some of the variants. When you disable ALS, SudoCue has no problem solving this puzzle.

Thanks for reporting this. I will try to find out what is causing ALS to fail, and fix it.

Ruud