Hard Sudokus

What are the best Sudoku magazines? Which newspapers really make you sweat with their latest Sudoku?<br>Discuss Sudoku publications in this forum.
lac
Hooked
Hooked

Hard Sudokus

Post by lac »

For a really hard puzzle nothing beats the Daily Sudoku Nightmare.

But for some of us, this is not enough. I spend too much time on airplanes, so I am always in the market for very hard sudoku puzzles on paper. Most of the books and magazines I have purchased have been disappointing, because even the puzzles they consider 'devilishly hard' are pretty simple.

But I have two exceptions.

The first is a book, 'Su-doku för Mästare' ISBN 91-85453-20-X which you can buy online here:
http://www.modernista.se/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2674
and a few other places. But I cannot find one that isn't in Swedish.

The second is a magazine that comes out every 2 months, called 'Sudoku Special'. I buy it at the newstand. I have emailed the editor and asked if it is possible to get a subscription, but so far no reply. When I find out, I will let you know. (I found out. There are no subscriptions currently. If this changes I will let you know. If any of you are desparate, I could mail you them when they come out. If lots of you are desparate, we will have to figure something out...)

Note, unlike the many glossy magazines available, this one is plain newsprint with nothing but 9x9 sudokus, 120 in all, with the last 16 being really quite tough.

So where do the rest of you get really hard sudokus?

Laura Creighton
PsyMar
Hooked
Hooked

Post by PsyMar »

I just found a book titled Mensa Extremely Nasty Sudoku Level 4. It looks like a pretty good series, although I haven't had time to attempt the puzzles within. From the introduction:

"Below is a sample puzzle on the left, and its solution on the right.
(exactly what it says)
If you are actually studying the two grids above because this is your first time trying sudoku, slowly close the cover of this book and back away without making any sudden movements. This is not a book for beginners. If you're just starting out, read Mensa Guide to Solving Sudoku by Peter Gordon and me. But if you're a seasoned pro and aren't intimidated by swordfish, xy-wings, xyz-wings, alternating digits, finned x-wings, gordonian polygons, turbot fish, and other scary-sounding techniques, then your search for a book that will truly challenge you has finally ended."

Basically, from what I'm gathering from the introduction, "Absolutely nasty sudoku" level 1 is similar to the Lite Sudoku on sudocue.net or maybe the "no-trick ponies" collection, level 2 and 3 are one-trick or two-trick ponies, and level 4 is where you start getting daily nightmare level stuff.
lac
Hooked
Hooked

Extremely Nasty Sudoku

Post by lac »

Wonderful. Do you have an ISBN?

Laura Creighton
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Here are these books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mensa-Absolutely- ... 1402743963

cheers,
Ruud