Clueless 78 - Very Easy rating???

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.

Was Clueless Special #78 easy for you?

Yes, way too easy
67%
the rating was good
33%
No way, it was very hard!
No votes

Total votes: 3

lynn893
Addict
Addict

Clueless 78 - Very Easy rating???

Post by lynn893 »

Good morning Ruud,

May I ask how Clueless 78 got it's rating of 'Very Hard'?
I always start with the blue grid, and this puzzle pretty much filled in with line box interactions the entire way through. The only grids where I actually had to use any form of logic were for grids 3 & 6.

ANyway, as of this minute, I'm at the top of the Special 'list', so I'm happy. Although, maybe next week we can see something a 'little' harder :P
TKollen
Regular
Regular

Clueless Special 78

Post by TKollen »

Hi Ruud,

I agree with lynn893. This was the easiest clueless ever. Quickly solved with line box interactions only. Maybe "Very Hard" is a misnomer.

Rgds,

Tomas
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

the center puzzle came pretty fast with stuff i know well
# 3 and #6 needed some somersaults.. xwings xywings triples and quads

there were some far easier ones
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

yes i agree this one was very very easy.
Found just 2 x-wings which i needed the rest was just filling in the grids.
But today i was glad with the quick one because i had to do much more important things.
Glyn
Major Major Major
Major Major Major

Post by Glyn »

Definitely not Very Hard as the centre grid quickly fell into line. Don't worry all the time saved can be spent attempting Djapes Clueless Zero Killer. :shock:
I have 81 brain cells left, I think.
Nouggie
Regular
Regular

Clueless Special #66

Post by Nouggie »

Clearly overrated.

I agree with the above comments. The solution puzzle gave up 38 cells before looking at any of the constituent puzzles...all 38 as singles & hidden singles. In fact, the solution puzzle can be solved only using hidden singles.

Constituent puzzles 3 & 6 were the only pieces of the puzzle with any inkling of a challenge.

If 3 & 6 were a little easier, this would be the ideal "starter" puzzle.
Nouggie
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

that d j ape killer clueless zero is kinda mean.
messed with it for 1/2 hour i solved 8 cells already,
and i split some cages... not sure where to go now
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi all,

the rating is based on the requirement of the most difficult move needed to completely finish the puzzle. So far, most Clueless puzzles required these moves before the blue grid was solved, but this puzzle slipped through, because it did not need any advanced moves to solve the blue grid.

To compensate your loss of fun, I posted a new very hard for the coming week. You definitely need an advanced step to solve the blue grid. Be careful what you ask for... :twisted:

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
Nouggie
Regular
Regular

Post by Nouggie »

Ruud wrote:
To compensate your loss of fun, I posted a new very hard for the coming week. You definitely need an advanced step to solve the blue grid. Be careful what you ask for... :twisted:

Ruud
And so you did!! Clueless Special #79 was great and up to its rating!
In fact, it could be said that one needed assistance outside of the Clueless Helper to solve Saturday's puzzle in say....18 minutes.
Nouggie
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

18 min?

I can tell ive been shamed... Nougies times are between 1/6 and 1/10th of that

I tried with clueless helper I found it took 47min.

My program finds naked singles, hidden singles, naked pairs,and some intersections.

I think the biggest advantage is the automatic double clicking of the naked singles. but it does take more passes with clueless helper for me to catch the same stuff the program finds easily. I will say anything beyond perhaps 5 minutes is all my own serchaing for x waings triples and
intersections the program misses.

clueless helper is the best program for tracking candidates ive ever run into. If you get a copy of logitek mouseware you can assign a doubleclick to the center button. thas makes double clicking work first timr every time.
it should drop the finish up time by 5-10%

But we all know Nougie has a more comprenhesive solver than mine or clueless helper.
Nouggie
Regular
Regular

Computer Assistance

Post by Nouggie »

I thought we had this all worked out in April. Contest solvers would use the Clueless Helper or multiple Sudocues, but not outside computer program assistance. The concept is to have a level playing field, which makes for a better contest. And besides, as TK went to pains to point out, what's the point of entering a bicycle race with a motorcycle?

As to the persisting belief that I have a solver...again, no I don't, never did. Those earlier fast times were done with Ruud's software, but I've said that already.

Best to all,
Nouggie