SudoCue Users Forum Index SudoCue Users
A forum for users of the SudoCue programs and the services of SudoCue.Net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nightmare November 9th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Nightmare & Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Para
Yokozuna
Yokozuna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Nightmare November 9th Reply with quote

Hi Ruud

I know there usually isn't much feedback from the nightmare puzzles. I just wanted to say that todays puzzle was a real beauty. Enjoyed solving it. Besides the standard sudoku techniques i used 2 y-wings and 1 xy-wing to open up the puzzle. Finally a BUG+1 to crack it.

greetings

Para
Sudtyro
Hooked
Hooked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Para,
Could you please clarify some nomenclature? I'm confused about exactly what a "y-wing" is. Sudopedia redirects to xy-wing, and Andrew Stuart's Sudoku Solver site says "aka xy-wing." But you refer separately to both.
TIA!
Para
Yokozuna
Yokozuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Here's a link to something udosuk wrote about y-wings, xy-wings and xyz-wings.

http://www.djape.net/sudoku/forum/viewtopic.php?t=963

Think that will be clear enough.
If you want i can show you the steps i did for this puzzle.

greetings

Para

ps. officially one of the y-wings, should have been termed as a grouped y-wing.
Sudtyro
Hooked
Hooked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Y-Wing Reply with quote

Mystery solved! Thanks for the link to udosuk's writeup.

It's interesting...sometime back I ran across your post here and saved a hardcopy for my "wings" folder because it seemed like such a easy pattern to search for. It didn't seem to have a name, though, and I just couldn't imagine Y-not! Smile

[Hint for Ruud] It would be really nice to see an article (or at least a link) added to Sudopedia!
Para
Yokozuna
Yokozuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

By the time i wrote that message i didn't know it's name either. I once wrote out a bit in the sudoku.com forum too (http://www.sudoku.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=42236#42236), mostly about the further implications of this technique. There no-one could inform me about the name of the technique either (or no-one felt like informing me on it) but after seeing that post by udosuk i found a name for it. It seems that this technique is known under multiple names. I think it is also known as remote pair exclusion or w-wing. But i guess that is a general problem in the sudoku community.
But i find this technique easy to search for. Mostly because i have certain places in the grid where they might appear(either by checking common bivalue cells or checking for only 2 options for one digit in a house). I am able to find ALS-y-wings easier than normal ALS-xz eliminations for example.
Well i hope you're able to use the y-wing now.

greetings

Para
rep'nA
Hooked
Hooked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little history that I wrote up for Keith on a different forum
Quote:

I'll try to give you the history as I know it. The first recorded use of a w-wing that I know of is John Macleod in Jan. 2006, who called it the Corkscrew Rule:
http://www.sudoku.org.uk/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=29&post=2790#POST2790
His rule was overly restrictive and I pointed this out formulating the general rule. I subsequently forgot about this exchange and didn't check for these things.

In March of this year, Stephen K posted his Y-wing styles thread which used the w-wing (not called that) as a main example of his more general notion. I posted often in this thread and suggested that the specific technique be called a semi-remote naked pair. This same has become semi-standard (in the sense that people usually call the technique several names when they use it and semi-remote naked pair is one of these names).

At some point in August, [Keith] created the thread on W-wings and gave some very cool corollaries of the rule.

So, in principle, the w-wing/semi-remote naked pair/y-wing style are all the same. In practice, I've only seen w-wings used in the way xy-wings are used, while I use semi-remote naked pairs allowing for longer chains in between the endpoint pairs.

By the way, I recently posted what I think is a rather slick application of semi-remote naked pairs in a solution to one of wapati's puzzles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SudoCue Users Forum Index -> Daily Sudoku Nightmare & Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: