Problems with understanding how markup options work

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
amkbcn
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Problems with understanding how markup options work

Post by amkbcn »

Hello,

I'm a new user having problems figuring out how the markup feature works. I would like to start with the program eliminating the direct blocks only and then do manual elimination from there on. I am having problems controlling the Markup options and don't know where I am going wrong.

When I activate Manual selections and Automatically remove invalid candidates and activate markup I get the full grid of nine digits in each cell. The first time I laboriously eliminated all the obvious candidates one by one. After saving the file, this work appears to have been lost. What did I do wrong? Now I am back to the full nine candidates in every cell.

I tried activating Direct blocks only, but now I find that the coloured numbers along the bottom row no longer coincide with the numbers in the cell. Also in the this mode I am unable to manually change the markup to reflect other deductions I have made not based on direct blocks.

I'm stymied. Maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks

Ana
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Ana,

With all the option requests I built in, setting up the correct Markup options has become a little difficult.

This is the setting I think you need (I use it most of the time):

Choose "Manual selections" and check both options "Automatically remove invalid candidates" and "Markers on at game start".

Now when you save your game, most save formats only save the initial givens. In the "Save As" dialog, you must select "Save as type" "Sudoku Game Progress". This format, using the .sdx extension, saves the complete status, including candidate eliminations.

I hope this works for you.

Ruud.
amkbcn
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by amkbcn »

Thanks Ruud,

The Save as type tip is a good one. I'll try ticking both the Manual Selections options and see if that works.

I am enjoying using the program. Thank you for all the good work. :-)

Ann
amkbcn
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by amkbcn »

Hi Ruud,

I just created a new game (using File New Setup and entering the clues). I chose Manual selection, Automatically remove invalid candidates and Markers on at game start. No markers appear even when I use the Tools, Markup menu option. All the numbers appear in red in the grid below. None of them can be changed.

Am I missing some step here?

Thanks

Ana

[quote="Ruud"]Hi Ana,

Choose "Manual selections" and check both options "Automatically remove invalid candidates" and "Markers on at game start".

I hope this works for you.

Ruud.[/quote]
amkbcn
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by amkbcn »

OK, I've identified my problem thanks to your help. I can only put in the real candidates, and I have to put them in manually. I was clicking randomly on ones that were not candidates and thought that none of them could be activated.

This setting suits me fine.

Thank you again

Ana
Mefisto
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Mefisto »

Hello Ruud, I like your program but I have some problem understanding all the options...

With "Markup" plus "Watch" like default tool for filter buttons I have "near" all I need. Whit this setup it's possible to colour cells (borders or the whole cell) ?

Example I evidenziate a candidate with the upper buttons, now I want to perform a simple colouring...how I can do ?

If I use ultra colour I can colour candidates, but I have to make it manually for all candidate I am checking.

I use SimpleSudoku of Angus. Yuo can evidentiate a candidate, mean all the cells where there is a candidate, and then colour the cells you want. All this loking all the candidates of each cell.
Another very usefull possibility is to evidenziate all the cells that contain only 2 candidates.

Thx in advance.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

I think be best setting for you is to use both the "Markup" and "Color" tools. You can set the "Color" tool as the default for the filter buttons in the options panel. Also check "Show Markup in Watch and Color modes".

Because you are using the color tool for 2 purposes, you may want to change the color for "neutral" cells, i.e. without a specific color. The default color does not stand out a lot.

Detailed explanation of the options can now be found in the user guide on this website.

I will consider filtering on bivalue cells, but with the pencilmarks visible, you can easily spot them yourself.

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh
Mefisto
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Mefisto »

So isn't possible to color a specific cell ?
I have seen then when I ask a hint the solver can highlight cells with colored borders, isn't possible to make the same ?
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

It is always possible to color a specific cell, but only with the Color tool active.

1. Press C to activate the color tool (or skip this step by making it the default for the filter buttons)
2. Press the filter button for the candidate you're interested in.
3. Select a cell and press A-G or Shift+(A-G) to give it one of the 14 available colors.

(the above procedure is also explained in the user guide)

Each solving technique that requires colors works with the candidates, not the cell itself. You can only apply colors to the cells that have a remaining candidate.

The Color tool is used in "single digit" techniques and the Ultracolor tool for multiple digit "chain" techniques. I see no use in adding another level of highlighting which only complicates matters.

If you you prefer the way Simple Sudoku works, you should continue using it. Both programs are freeware, so you have the freedom of choice. I am not interested in emulating Angus Johnson's software.

Ruud
Mefisto
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks Ruud, now I am really ok, I have all I need except the fact that I don't play Sudoku very well... :wink:

P.S. Your SudoCue now is my default porgram

P.P.S. Andrea