Difficulty

Many players have found their way to the daily <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/lite.php">Lite Sudokus</a> on this website. Share your experiences here.
HowardBrazee
Rookie
Rookie

Difficulty

Post by HowardBrazee »

I've been doing puzzles from the Daily Lite Sudoku lately. Twice, including today, I have failed to solve the Mean level puzzle. But I've always solved the Maniac level puzzle.

How are these levels determined?
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Todays Mean can be solved with locked pairs, a locked triple and a few locked candidate moves.

Todays Maniac requires 5 locked candidate moves and has several hidden pairs.

Todays Modest can be solved with singles only, but there are several shortcuts with locked candidates, unique rectangles and an X-Wing.

The ratings are based on the most difficult move required and the total number of advanced moves. If you learn more advanced techniques, you often find shortcuts that bypass several "easier" moves.

Unfortunately, rating Sudokus is not an exact science. Each player has his or her own set of favorite techniques, affecting the difficulty being experienced.

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh