A new one

Our weekly <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/weeklykiller.php">Killer Sudokus</a> should not be taken too lightly. Don't turn your back on them.
Andrew
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Post by Andrew »

That was a great puzzle nd, a tough challenge! Really neat key moves; the use of the 45 rule on r789 and the interactions in n2 as a result of r8c5 = {56}.

For those who haven't come across nd's earlier puzzles, they can be found at http://www.ndorward.com/blog/?page_id=71 As he says at the top of that page, they are all pretty difficult.

Congratulations to Ed and Peter for solving it; my contribution was very small - hope I can find time to make more contributions to the next team effort.

BTW Peter, Ed's step 56 is correct. Whichever of 6 or 8 is being considered for r1c3 blocks 6 or 8 for r1c6 so r1c6 = 4 follows. Ed has now added comments on this step.
Nasenbaer
Master
Master

Post by Nasenbaer »

Ed, Andrew,

thanks for clearing step 56 up for me. I didn't think it completly through, sorry.

That's the thing I like most about the tag killers, you see how other people work, and your own moves are critically reviewed.

Thanks again for this wonderful puzzle and the combined work.

Peter
nd
Hooked
Hooked

Post by nd »

Glad you enjoyed the puzzle! -- The {56} thing was really the turning point for getting it done (in that it's the point in the puzzle where all the hard work on N789 pays off & starts to have an effect on the rest of the grid); I'd been trying a different approach before & it never worked out. The other bit I liked (& it actually comes out more neatly in the final puzzle than in how I initially worked it out) is the {123} triplet in N4, which uses the properties of extra-long cages: this is one reason why I like large cages (as in puzzle #9).

Will try to get another puzzle or two done shortly--I have two in starting drafts, with the initial keys worked out.