SudoBooks

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
rep'nA
Hooked
Hooked

SudoBooks

Post by rep'nA »

Ruud,

You have published some excellent collections of sudoku puzzles (No-Trick Ponies, Almost Nightmares, etc.) in a form readable by Sudo Cue. Is it possible for any user to create these .sdm files? If not, is this something that you are considering for a later version? I could swear I've heard you answer this question before, but I just can't find it on your site.

Thanks,
rep'nA

[Edit: It seems I can take an existing collection and replace the puzzles with new ones to make my own collection, but this somehow feels like cheating. Is there another way?]
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

An sdm file is an ASCII text file with 1 sudoku puzzle per line. I often create and edit them with a simple text editor like Notepad.

You are free to use LF (Unix-style) or CR+LF (Windows-style) line separators.
You are free to use 0 or . (dot) for empty cells.

Empty lines are ignored, and also everything that starts with # (hash).

The following entries change the variant type. Only one of them should be placed in the file:

Code: Select all

#V#Standard    (default variant)
#V#Diagonals
#V#Windoku
#V#Disjoint
#V#CenterDot
#V#Asterisk
Sounds like a good idea to have a "collection manager" in SudoCue. Takes some time to develop, though.

Ruud
rep'nA
Hooked
Hooked

Post by rep'nA »

Ruud,

Hmph. I see where I was having problems. Originally, I was just putting puzzles into notepad, saving it and then watching SudoCue not recognize it. Now that I have convinced Windows to not save it as a text file, and to give it the extension .sdm, everything is working fine.

It would be really slick to have a collection manager, but it is easy enough for us to make collections manually that I doubt it is the best use of your time. Alternatively, you might formally document the process on the website and have a link in the help file.

Thanks for the help,
rep'nA
"Obviousness is always the enemy to correctness."-Bertrand Russell