Error in Clueless Helper?

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
enxio27
Master
Master

Error in Clueless Helper?

Post by enxio27 »

I'm trying to open a Clueless puzzle file that I made myself, but I keep getting a message saying that "Only public sample files and your own saved files can be opened on this computer." This IS my own saved file, so why am I getting the error?

(My free trial is expired, but I never really used it. I would register it if it would print.)
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

This is the only program Ruud charges $$ for ..
i have the registered version.
it seems to save and retrive reliabily.
I believe the unregestered version accesses only 3 sample puzzles.

i do know with the registered version you better do all the edits from within clueless helper. theres a crc/hash code on the end that probably has your email and computer configuration in it no to mention every byte in the saved file. You cant edit the file and bring it back into clueless helper.

Read the docs carefully see if the unregistered version is supposed to work at all or not save or not do anything but the sample puzzles.

it does save the state of the puzzle with all candidates.

the ^Z does not take back moves on a saved partialy completed puzzle.
This is the only feature request i have.
there are a number of copy and paste options.
I use the printer as little as possible . the quantity of paper i generate is very high. im sure Ruud would honor a print feature request.

you can do the winddows printscreen or Alt-printscreen.

This program has about the best mark / watch / takeback ive seen so far.

Im very pleased with it.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Pete wrote:This is the only program Ruud charges $$ for
Yeah, I know. I would have registered it already if it had a print feature. I pretty much looked at it once (after signing up for the trial) and then dropped it when I found out it wouldn't print. So I really didn't try it out for 30 days--more like one day.

More recently, it occurred to me that perhaps I could at least use it to save the pencil marks for the 10th grid and then use Sudocue to print them out (at least until CH has a print feature of its own). Perhaps I should ask Ruud to let me have another trial to test this out. If I could actually get some use out if it, I would register it.
i do know with the registered version you better do all the edits from within clueless helper. theres a crc/hash code on the end that probably has your email and computer configuration in it no to mention every byte in the saved file. You cant edit the file and bring it back into clueless helper.
Whoa! Even with the registered version? I wonder why?
Read the docs carefully see if the unregistered version is supposed to work at all or not save or not do anything but the sample puzzles.
I did, but it's really not clear:
When the trial period expires, you can still use the program, but my website will no longer allow you to download Clueless puzzles. As an extra security measure, you cannot open files which were saved on another computer.
The error message I get when I try to open a puzzle file of my own making:
This file cannot be opened for the following reason: Only public sample files and your own saved files can be opened on this computer.
This is my "own saved file", so I'm not sure why CH won't open it, unless it means "saved from within Clueless Helper". If so, this needs to be made clear in the instructions as well as the error message.
im sure Ruud would honor a print feature request.
I've asked, but last I checked, he hadn't replied as to whether he would include it in a future version. Maybe he doesn't take feature requests from unregistered users?
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

well Ruud always takes requests for those other 3 free programms.
those are by definition always from unregistered users.

he follows the forums pretty closely on 4 sites that i know of.
Perhaps we just need to wait a bit longer.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

I haven't got much time at this moment to do any work on the Clueless Helper, but your request has been noted.

Later this month things may have calmed down at my mortgage-paying job and I will have some time for a CH update.

cheers,
Ruud
nj3h
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nj3h »

Come on Ruud,

You don't expect us all to believe that your sudoku knowledge and your good looks together isn't enough to pay your mortgage?

Just raise the SudoCue price to ten times what it is now. That should solve the mortgage problem.

As far as the price for CH goes, I had to take out a second mortgage to pay for it, cut the kid's college fund out, sell the baby, and put the wife to work at night to pay for it. I have lost 150 pounds (weight not money) because of the starvation diet I had to go on.

Regards,
George
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

:lol:
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

nj3h,
youve got to change your religon.

get at least 6 wives put them all to work so you can pay for clueless helper.
I wonder where the break even point is , or how many working wives you need to be about the same income level of being single and working.

I just collect empty bottles myself. i can take them north to michigan and get that 10cent deposit.

Perhaps the nederlands has a bottle deposit program we could sent them all to Ruud... then he could pay his mortguage and fix up clueless helper.