2.2.0.0 issues/bugs

Ask your support questions for SudoCue here
MorganNY
Regular
Regular

2.2.0.0 issues/bugs

Post by MorganNY »

While this problem is somewhat intermittent, it happens enough that I'm here writing about it.
I find that using ctrl/keypad to remove candidates easier than right-clicking once for each candidate. However, many times when I select multiple cells, within one house or spanning more (as when a naked pair is also an aligned/pointing pair) only the first one or two keypadded digits are removed. I have to rehighlight the cells to remove the other candidates. Or call up the right-click contect menu twice.
Example: Naked triple 1-3-8 is in a box. I use ctrl to highlight the other cells in the box then I hold ctrl and keypad 1,3,8. Sometimes only the 1 will be removed. I don't know if this is a relevant factor: I Mouse left-handed, so I'm holding the right ctrl when I'm selecting cells and then holding the left ctrl when I use the keypad. I'm sorry if this has been explored elsewhere. I've seen you (with much trepidation) at combat sudoku so I know you can understand how not being able to remove candidates rapidly can be an issue :)

Another problem:
If I place a number and it turns out to be wrong, I know it immediately because the difficulty level box displays the word "Invalid". However, Once I undo the errant move, presumably rendering the puzzle valid once again, The box continues to read "Invalid" which is a problem because then how would I know if another experimental placement is wrong? I tried using the Recalculate marks option but all that does is restore candidates I've already eliminated, the 'invalid' remark remains. My interim solution is to Copy Marks (ctrl-m) then paste, this resets the difficulty level box. The problem with this solution is I lose my move history because to the program, my current game starts at the point I pasted, not the original puzzle.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

The first problem is an older issue which I thought I had fixed. I will try to figure out under which circumstances it fails and fix it.

The second problem (puzzle invalid) is a known issue. The solver continually responds to user moves and changes the state when the puzzle becomes unsolvable. This should be corrected by the Undo function.

As a workaround, use the "Solve from Here" menu function, or avoid making wrong moves. :wink:

The next version will do this automatically when Undo is performed and the solver state is "invalid".

Ruud.
MorganNY
Regular
Regular

Post by MorganNY »

Thanks, I appreciate your time. The only problem with that solution (as well as my copying/pasting the marks to clear the invalid): I had been coloring a LONG string of pairs, made a wrong conclusion about what a cell "had" to be, and it came up invalid. By resetting the 'invalid' I lost all my colored candidates. If an undo triggers a 'solve from here' function, won't one lose their colored candidates? Just something to consider when working on the fix.

This program has been SUCH a tremendous help in showing me how and when techniques can, and cannot, be applied. Unfortunately, part of that learning process is trial and error. Not for solving the puzzle but for ensuring one understands the right and wrong times a candidate should be removed based on one's understanding of their arsenal of techniques.
I appreciate you like crazy. Fix your paypal so I and others can show it.
:salut: