Equality Killer Windoku FNC

Interesting puzzles can be posted here
udosuk
Rookie
Rookie

Equality Killer Windoku FNC

Post by udosuk »

I can sense the end of this forum soon. During the last hour I even experienced some server instability here. Anyway, Ruud is one of my best pals in the Sudoku communities and we even worked together as co-moderators in the sudoku.com forums. I think some of you guys are too harsh on him, considering what he has provided us in the last 2 years or so, basically for free (donation is voluntary for those who can afford). It's a shame this site might end because of his shifted interest but we shouldn't take all good things for granted. :no:

Anyway, I also signed up at Richard's forum (a new home for the community here which I think is great). :thumright: :cheers: :thumleft: I posted a puzzle there, and I think as a tribute to Ruud (and his past contributions) I should post it here too:

Note the "Equality Killer" concept comes from Ms Miyuki Misawa's website in 2005. Also players who have visited www.killersudokuonline.com know they publish an "Inequality Killer" every week.

Ruud is one of the guys who first introduced me to the "Windoku/NRC" concept so it's nice that I post a puzzle with this rule on this forum before it ends. :salut:

Just for completeness I posted 4 other puzzles in this series elsewhere, available from these links:

:arrow: http://www.sudoku.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6061

:arrow: http://www.djape.net/sudoku/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1276

And here is the thread I posted this puzzle in Richard's forum:

:arrow: http://www.rcbroughton.co.uk/sudoku/for ... ?f=13&t=20

:bball: I'll surely miss this great emoticon which isn't available everywhere! Prayers for Ruud, his family, the nice community here, and its new home! [-o<
Afmob
Expert
Expert

Post by Afmob »

That was different :lol:.

If you got the cage sum right then you are halfway through (but definitely not near the finish line). The only thing that bothers me is that to get the exact cage sum, I had to use T&E (trying the other cage sum options) since I didn't immediately see why those other options couldn't be valid.

Thanks for providing this variant!

Solution:

4 8 3 7 2 6 1 5 9
2 9 1 5 3 4 8 6 7
5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4
8 3 4 2 6 7 5 9 1
7 2 6 1 5 9 4 8 3
9 1 5 3 4 8 6 7 2
6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5
3 4 2 6 7 5 9 1 8
1 5 9 4 8 3 7 2 6
udosuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by udosuk »

Afmob, well done for solving it. This one is probably the most difficult among the 5 ones in the series. I do have a way to quickly rule out the cage sum as [17], but to pick the correct cage sum out of the remaining [two] options is not easy. :pig: Might set about writing a walkthrough later. :cyclopsani:

Anyway, you can try the other 4 puzzles in the series, I think they're all solvable entirely by logic. And then, there is a 2nd challenge: find out what's special about the solution grid. You can do that by identifying how many constraints it has! :bom:

I feel bad nobody has bothered to try it in Richard's forum. :ncool:
Afmob
Expert
Expert

Post by Afmob »

I think it's quite understandable why no one on Richard's forum posted on your creation since sudocue.net and Richard's forum have the same visitors and users, so no one is likely to post twice about it.

And variants tend to have less reply posts. Just look at djape.net where lots of puzzles lie around unanswered, for instance this one: http://www.djape.net/sudoku/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1272, which is a real beauty and hard but fun to solve. Though I won't register on djape.net since I'm already quite busy here and at Richard's forum with solving and writing full walkthroughs for Killers.
udosuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by udosuk »

Afmob (and others who looked at this puzzle here), I've finally written a complete text & graphical walkthrough for this puzzle. Please go to the thread in Richard's forum to have a look. The "hidden text" feature there is certainly very very nice! :geek: