Congrats Pete

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

Congrats Pete

Post by Shoebear »

Congratulations on a perfect score.

Now, I'd like to put the pressure on you and see how many weeks you're going to keep that perfect score.

Will you manage until I get there in about 23 weeks? :wink:

Yuri
I'm not addicted to Sudoku.
I cope very well without Sudoku - between midnight and 6 in the morning.
Marlie
Master
Master

Post by Marlie »

Hallo Peter
Ich schliesse mich nicht an bei ihre Worte. Pete benutzt ein Programm um die clueless puzzles zu lösen also stimmt in meinen Augen die Lösung nicht. Seine erste lösung war innerhalb von 13 minuten eingesendet.
Schade!!
Bitte entschuldige Fehler.
Grüsse Marlie
nicht weit von Krefeld :lol:
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

perfect clueless

Post by Pete »

well I believe Marlie was the first to notice that 13 minute solution.

I wrote a sudoku helper program
then i did a clueless with note pad and several copies and many cut and pastes.
then I converted my program to hold all 10

Believe me, very few of the Puzzles on this site will solve with the program alone.

My program finds naked singles hidden singles
naked twins, and some intersections.

Ruuds clueless helper does a bit less but when you highlite single digits
Most of what my program does is very obvious.

Mine will do regular, killer, jigsaw, clueless, clueless explosion And samurai

the double click for the naked singles gives cluelesshelper a lot more speed. When i use clueless helper for the explosions and samurai, it takes about 5 times as long.

I dont think Il ever duplicate the solving ability of sodocue or sumocue.

A list some of the people who have given me an email adress and have my program:

Byron Okamoto
Yuri Joubert
Lynn893
Anne Neuman
Nj3h
Ruud

So I dont really think its an Unfair advantage

the first clueless i submitted took about 3 hours
that was my program and notepad and much cut and paste
as Ruud suggests.
the second attempt was 2 hours
when I use Ruud's clueless helper its sometimes under an hour
The perfect 52 will loose both the 2-3 hour solutions this week.

But if anyone here wants a copy of my program an email adress is the full price.... But I do ask for suggestions so I can improve it.

with the sudoku i understand Medusa als bug and finned fish are a long way in the future.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
Shoebear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shoebear »

Good morning everyone,

Sorry for not having responded sooner, but work's been too much (as seems to happen so often nowadays!).

The debate on whether using tools to solve sudokus is fair or not has been a heated one on and off on the sudoku.org.uk site (where I mainly am and from where I recognize several others such as Pete, Peter Herrigel, Byron Okamoto, Julie Stuckmeyer, Gerard Coteau, Peter J. Romano II, etc. ). Actually Pete brought many of us over to the Clueless Specials by rooting for it on the other site. (Ruud's site itself was known much earlier to me).

My standpoint is similar to most. I do not reject tools completely, but have come to the conclusion that they should not be used to find hints and solutions, just provide one with a better overview.

I do most puzzles with pencil and paper. This does not apply to the Jigsaw Extremes on the other site where I use Ruud's Sumocue (and just the Marking function) to eliminate all the superfluous numbers. Having "tidied up" the puzzle, I write down the result on paper and then solve it by hand.

I must admit though that I do use Ruud's Clueless Helper to do the Clueless Specials. I certainly would find it difficult to solve them without the program, simply because I find the overview difficult to keep. (Seeing I solve most of the puzzles while commuting to work, I've also had the "privilege" of trying to solve Clueless Specials on the train, which I found seemingly impossible).

While I'm still busy admitting, I'll also admit to having Pete's program - a fact which he noted correctly in his post above. Sorry Pete, but I have to admit that I have not used it (yet). I installed it, tried it on a Clueless, couldn't figure out what the program was actually doing in what order, put it aside to have a look at it later when I have more time, and have not yet found the time to do so.
I think if one looks at my scores and the irregularity with which I have submitted (correct) answers (let alone within the first 24 hours), it becomes obvious that I do them just with eyes, my brain and Ruud's Clueless helper.

BTW: Once I have solved and submitted puzzles, I often play them again in Sumocue, Sudocue or Simple Sudoku. Just for the fun of playing them in a program. They tend to become must easier (a jigsaw, for example, takes me about a third of the time that it does by hand). But you just don't have the fun of proving (to yourself) that your brain is as good as the puzzlemaker's!!

Hallo Marlie: Goete aan Venray. Jij woon werklich naabij Krefeld. Verskoon a.s.b. mij Nederlands. Ek bin oorspronglik Zuid-Afrikaner, maar woon sedert 32 Jaar in Duitsland en bin nouw ook Duitse. Ek bewondere mense die Ruud's puzzles kan maak en nie te veele hulpmiddel gebruik. Ich wollte Deine Leistung und die der anderen, die oben auf der Liste sind, nicht schmälern indem ich Pete gratuliere. Im Gegenteil - wenn Ihr es auf ein perfektes Score bringt, bewundere ich Euch um so mehr, vor allem, da ich das Gleiche versuche.

Groetjes uit Krefeld

Yuri
I'm not addicted to Sudoku.
I cope very well without Sudoku - between midnight and 6 in the morning.
lynn893
Addict
Addict

Re: perfect clueless

Post by lynn893 »

[quote="Pete"] A list some of the people who have given me an email adress and have my program:

Byron Okamoto
Yuri Joubert
Lynn893
Anne Neuman
Nj3h
Ruud

So I dont really think its an Unfair advantage.[/quote]

Sorry Pete, I don't have your program. :cry:

Although you did sent it to me, I emailed you right back and told you that it did not work. There was no exe file (application file) to run the program. I really wanted to try your program, but alas, wasn't able to.

But, I use Ruud's helper and I like it much better than writing all the markups myself! :D
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

Lynn,
The program is in a .zip archive
there is a .txt description/manual
there is the program .exe
and a bunch of .pla for numberPLAce examples
regular
jigsaw
killer
samurai
clueless
clueless explosion

if you have an apple i can understand your problem

you must unzip them. windows program manager(my computer)
will do this.
you can double click the zip file or right click and select extract all

the exe file will run , it doesnt need installation it is a complete entity. it doesnt mess with the registery. it creates and .INI file that saves your settings.

I thought your message said norton antivirus said the program didnt have a certificate... i cant mail attachments from yahoo without running nortons full scan.
I didnt understand your response and you never got back to me.

I thought you didnt choose to use it since norton said it may be a threat and its not windows certified.

It very benign. it only deals with text files. it opens no ports. it does nothing net related. It doesnt quickload or land on your desktop or in the startup folder.
it doesnt yet even save textfiles. you may cut or copy
to notepad or sumocue or simple sudoku or perfectsudoku.

if you want to use it from the desktop or the start menu you must put it on the desktop and/or the start menu
if you dont youve gotta find it with my computer and click it

older folks enjoy my programs in that they are more command line / text oriented..
Ruuds are the more modern pixel/graphic/mouse style
and they use the registery.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers