Query

This forum is dedicated to the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/clueless.php">Clueless Specials</a> published each Monday on the website.
Lindy2
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Query

Post by Lindy2 »

It's been a long, long time since I last visited this site - way back when there were only 3 or 4 Clueless Specials! :oops: Things have certainly changed!

A couple of questions: What's the difference between the Clueless Specials and the Clueless Explosions?

I imagine techniques have advanced since those early days so I wonder what experience is needed for today's Specials. Being strictly a paper and pencil person who never uses computer helpers/solvers, will I be biting off more than I can chew by jumping back on the Special bandwagon? Is a helper recommended?

Just thought I would ask, as I've been enjoying the Samurai contest the past couple of weeks and am now eyeballing the Specials in a whimsical fashion - mindful that back then I could only do the easy and moderate puzzles!

Thanks

Lindy
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi Lindy,

welcome to the forum.

The difference between Clueless Specials and Clueless Explosions is in the distribution of the blue cells, which form the 10th grid. In the special, a 3x3 box in the blue grid matches a single box in one of the 9 base grids. In the Explosion, a single box in the blue grid is spread over the center cells in one of the 9 base grids, effectively turing this grid into a center-dot sudoku, where the center cells of each 3x3 box must also be all different. Additional solving techniques can be used for this variant.

A helper is not required. Many players use P&P to solve these puzzles.

All overlapping puzzles on the main site can be solved using singles, locked candidates, (naked & hidden) pairs, triples (rarely a quad) and X-Wing. Some puzzles I post on the forum may require more difficult techniques, but these are not for the competition.

Enjoy the puzzles!
Ruud
Lindy2
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

Post by Lindy2 »

Thank you, Ruud. I feel more confident, now :)

Lindy