"Skip" a Hint

If you have an opinion about SudoCue, post it here
Princess Amy
Hooked
Hooked

"Skip" a Hint

Post by Princess Amy »

Hi, I haven't quite got the hang of some of the advanced techniques yet (skyscraper, 2-string kite).

Sometimes I'm solving a daily nightmare and have to ask for a hint. Only I don't know what the hint means.

I'd like to learn them all, of course. But would it be possible to "Skip" the hint, and get another one? Or do they have to go in a certain order?

Right now, I just click on the digit that's circled in red and it goes away and I move on, but I'm not learning it the right way.

Thanks,

Amy Grace
Pete
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pete »

There is a way to deselect certain solving techniques.
Sudocue
Tools/options/ solver(tab)

remove all the checks of techniques you dont have an inkling about
leave the ones you know or wish to learn.

Chances are it wont make any difference,
since its applied in order of difficulty.

but if you are learning xy pairs it may be Better for you than all the fishes that are usually tried/applied first .

This way the program will be more of a tutor.
"It gets dark at night" - Olbers
Glyn
Major Major Major
Major Major Major

Post by Glyn »

If you hit a hint you can't follow try switching on the Log/Analyzer either through the View Menu or with F6. The hint is shown in grey.

If you need a bit more detail click the tab marked Long Descriptions and that might help. Have a read of that, back up a few steps with Cntrl-Z and when you get to the same point again, without the hint, see if you can use the coloring to find the same elimination yourself.

The problem switching off some of the techniques is that the solution path may change and you might end up with an even more horrendous technique to grasp than you expected.

You can play with the order of the techniques rather than switch them off, using the Move Up and Move Down buttons on the option page that Pete has already directed you to.

All the best

Glyn
I have 81 brain cells left, I think.