10 Dec 06 Nightmare not so nightmarish?

Discuss the <a href="http://www.sudocue.net/daily.php">Daily Sudoku Nightmare</a> here
ZeroSignal
New kid on the Grid
New kid on the Grid

10 Dec 06 Nightmare not so nightmarish?

Post by ZeroSignal »

Trying not to spoil it for those who haven't solved it yet, but I was able to whip through this one pretty easily - the most advanced technique I needed to solve it was a singles chain at the end. Doesn't seem usual for the Daily Nightmare.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

Hi ZeroSignal, welcome to the forum.

The Daily Nightmares are selected from my ever growing collection using several criteria:

- A limited number of singes to start with;
- A minimum number of significantly different solving techniques;
- A minimum number of advanced moves in the solving path;
- A minimum overall difficulty level;

Sometimes it is possible to bypass several intended steps and break the puzzle with a single advanced move. Most players will not find this move until they've tried all "lesser" techniques. I'm looking forward to see the shortcut that you've found.

The next Nightmare may not be so friendly... :twisted:

cheers,
Ruud
Ron Moore
Addict
Addict

Post by Ron Moore »

Ruud,

I agree with ZeroSignal. It required almost no pause for thought (only singles and one line/box locked candidates elimination) until near the end, as he indicates, then only one non-basic step and more singles. Was this by chance intended to be the One Trick Pony for 10 Dec? I'm not even sure it's tough enough for that. Just to be sure I hadn't made a lucky mistake, I checked the Sudocue solver log and confirmed all this.

Ron
unkx80
Hooked
Hooked

Post by unkx80 »

My solver solves it with a lot of singles, one pointing pair and one BUG+1. Does not look anything like nightmare standard...
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

The wrong puzzle has been uploaded for December 10 :oops:

What's done is done, but I hope that the December 12 puzzle will sufficiently compensate this error...

Ruud
“If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.” - Emerson M Pugh