Printer Page-Width Problem

Comments about the remaining aspects of the <A href="/">SudoCue.Net</A> website
Sudtyro
Hooked
Hooked

Printer Page-Width Problem

Post by Sudtyro »

Cannot seem to figure this one out:

Certain posts, when examined using my Windows 2000 IE "Print Preview" option, show the pages truncated on the right-hand side (and they print that way, too). E.g., when I "Print Preview" enxio27's recent post on "Specials page", the pages are truncated on the right side just after the column position of the second "view" in the line, "View previous topic :: View next topic" at the top boundary of the post. Yet, other posts, such as the next four or five ones, posted earlier than enxio27's latest, do not show any truncation.

My IE "Page Setup" parameters specify left and right margins of 0.25" on standard letter-size paper. The margins setting won't go below 0.25" on either side.

Can anyone help on this?
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

I'm not sure why, but I don't think it's a problem with I.E. I use Firefox, and it does the same thing. I've been trying to print out the starter puzzle from the Clueless Guide, and that's getting truncated on the right side as well (the link to the printer-friendly version is broken). (Pasting into Clueless Helper doesn't help any, because I get an error when I try to paste, and Clueless Helper doesn't yet have a print function, anyway.)

I'm not sure what else to tell you, but at least it seems we know what the problem ISN'T.
Sudtyro
Hooked
Hooked

Post by Sudtyro »

Thanks for relaying your experience with Firefox.

Very interesting and strange...I tried that site you mentioned (http://sudocue.net/cluelessguide.php), and it seems to not truncate when I view it on my Windows 2000 IE "Print Preview" option.

Not sure where to go from here.
Ruud
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by Ruud »

I have been busy lately (see Releases)

Maybe I can change the printable versions to PDF format. I will look into this shortly.

Ruud
enxio27
Master
Master

Post by enxio27 »

Ruud wrote:I have been busy lately (see Releases)
So THAT'S where you've been! :)
Maybe I can change the printable versions to PDF format. I will look into this shortly.
The printer-friendly versions of the puzzles normally work well. It's just that the link to the printer-friendly version of the starter puzzle is broken, and it took me a LOT of doing to get the starter puzzle to print from the Clueless Guide page (and it's still not really looking right--boxes too small for candidates).

I'm really not sure what the problem is with printing from the forums. I myself never have occasion to do it. I just know that the print preview in Firefox is very similar to what the OP described as happening in his I.E., so it's definitely not browser-specific.
Sudtyro
Hooked
Hooked

Post by Sudtyro »

Ruud wrote:
Actually, 98% of all forum postings will print just fine right out of a browser. The problem is only with that 2% that exhibits this pesky truncation problem on the right-hand side.

Sure would be nice to know what causes that!